Invisalign invisible braces
If you thought you missed your window for straightening your teeth, or if you’ve always dragged your feet about aligning your smile because you feared the backlash of sporting a “metal mouth,” Invisalign® has revolutionized the way people feel about their smile. Employing clear aligners customized for your mouth, Invisalign®is the virtually invisible way to align your smile without metal wires or brackets. Invisalign® makes it possible to go about your daily life while undergoing orthodontic treatment that is nearly undetectable. If you have longed for straight teeth and a smile that you can be proud of, it’s time to find out if you’re a candidate for Invisalign® braces.
How Invisalign® Works
Even if you suffer from an overbite, underbite, crossbite, crooked teeth, overcrowding, or protruding teeth, Invisalign® is able to correct these issues, just like traditional metal braces. Once your dentist determines that you’re a good candidate for Invisalign®, the treatment process begins by evaluating your jaw, teeth, and bite through 3-D imaging. From there, a unique treatment plan is developed and, once the final plan is determined, a custom made set of aligners will be created for your mouth. Invisalign® is not one-size-fits-all – it is designed to fit your unique mouth structure.
Each set of Invisalign® clear aligners is worn for about two weeks and then exchanged for the next set of aligners. This process is designed to gradually move certain teeth at certain times until your entire smile is in alignment. Some aligners may need to be worn a little longer than other sets – your dentist will determine how well your treatment is progressing during periodic visits to the office.
The most critical element in making sure Invisalign® braces are a success is your dedication to the customized treatment plan. You must be able to follow the instructions as your dentist has laid them out for you, and be committed to wearing your aligners for the bulk of every day.
Facts to know about your Invisalign® treatment:
- Invisalign® treatment takes between nine and 15 months to complete with an average treatment time of 12 months.
- You will visit your dentist about every six weeks to make sure your Invisalign® treatment is advancing properly.
- Invisalign® aligners must be worn for 20-22 hours a day. That means they are only removed for eating, brushing, and flossing – usually four to six times a day.
- During the course of your Invisalign® treatment, you will wear between 18 and 30 aligners. This number will vary depending on where your teeth are now and where they need to move. Your dentist will determine this number at the start of your Invisalign® treatment.
10 Benefits of Invisalign® Braces
- Fewer oral health problems. Invisalign® doesn’t just straighten teeth. Invisalign® eliminates health problems that can develop because of misaligned teeth. With Invisalign® your teeth trap less food and bacteria, and aligned teeth are easier to floss, which means you’re at a lower risk for cavities and gum disease. Plus, your toothbrush works far more efficiently on straight teeth.
- Eating freedom. Traditional braces-wearers are limited in the foods they can enjoy over the course of their orthodontic treatment. Invisalign®-wearers can dig into the popcorn, crunchy veggies, chewy steaks, popcorn, and pizza crust without worries about what this food could do to your brackets or wires. Invisalign® is removed for every meal and put back in place after you’ve finished eating and rinsed your smile.
- Healthy diet. Traditional braces-wearers often find themselves resorting to soups, pastas, and all manner of soft foods so they don’t hurt their braces, but also because they’re in pain from adjustments at the dentist’s office. Wearers of Invisalign® will not have any sort of compromised diet – you can eat balanced, nutritious meals without worrying about your orthodontic treatment getting in the way.
- Anyone who has ever worn traditional metal braces can attest that the brackets and wires can be painful. Scratches and pokes to gums, lips, tongue, and cheek are part of the typical orthodontic experience. But Invisalign® aligners are smooth and intended to fit snugly over your teeth so that they don’t get in the way of your life.
- There are special tools for wearers of traditional metal braces because they have to carefully clean around every nook and cranny. People who wear Invisalign® simply remove their virtually invisible aligners to brush and floss as normal. It is necessary, however, to clean your Invisalign® aligners to ensure that they stay clean, clear, and free of bacteria or build-up. Your dentist will instruct you in the proper methods of Invisalign® cleanliness.
- Whether you’re an adult or a teen, there are very few people who are interested in broadcasting their orthodontic treatment to the world. Invisalign® makes it possible to straighten your teeth on the down-low. The very thin Invisalign® aligners are virtually impossible to see and very difficult for anyone to detect on your teeth unless they know you’re wearing the trays.
- Clarity of speech. You may not have any sort of speech impediment, but it is a fact that aligned teeth and jaws allow people to speak more clearly and articulately. Your teeth work hard, together with your tongue and palette, to form words, whether you’re speaking or singing. Invisalign® gives you the opportunity to become a more eloquent speaker.
- Though Invisalign® must be worn for 20 to 22 hours a day, the ability to remove your aligners from time to time can be a relief. Invisalign® won’t interfere if you have a speech to give, a case to defend, a class to teach, or a first date to go on, but sometimes it’s nice to know that you can take those aligners out for just a little while if absolutely necessary.
- Greater confidence. There is no disputing it –Invisalign® makes you a more confident person. Knowing your teeth are straight and attractive is a boost to the self-esteem, but being completely self-assured during your nearly invisible orthodontic treatment is a luxury that traditional braces-wearers are not able to embrace. When you’re quick to flash a smile, laugh confidently, or speak freely, you’ll be perceived in a more positive light by others, both personally and professionally. A straight smile thanks to Invisalign® is truly life-changing.
- In many cases, treatment time with Invisalign® braces is less than that of traditional metal braces. Less time in the dentist’s chair? Need we say more?
As with any orthodontic treatment, Invisalign® will require an adjustment period. Your daily life will soon adapt to the routine of being an Invisalign®-wearer, and you’ll realize just how beneficial this low-maintenance method of orthodontia is. You look the same, except your teeth are becoming straighter and straighter with the change of every aligner. Invisalign® doesn’t interfere with your life – it can only enhance your life.
Speak with Drs. Paul Miller and Rita Patel-Miller today to find out whether you’re a candidate for Invisalign® braces. We are a Preferred Invisalign® Provider in Crown Point, Indiana, and are trained to create customized Invisalign® treatment plans for each qualifying patient.